Frequently Asked Recreational Hockey questions

Who can I contact about becoming a youth hockey coach with BAHA?

Please contact Hockey Director, Dave Weaver at if you are interested in coaching opportunities.

Is there a girls-only hockey program?

Yes, BAHA has two girls’ hockey teams. There is a 14U and 19U team designed for girls aging out of the youth Squirt level that wants to continue playing competitive hockey. These teams compete in the Northern Rocky Mountain Girls Hockey League and travel to tournaments throughout Montana and Idaho once a month. For more information about our girls’ league, contact Dave Weaver at

Where can I find the practice schedule for the season?

The practice schedule will be posted on the Youth Hockey calendar page. You may also contact Dave Weaver at for more information.

Can I rent hockey equipment for my child?

Yes, if your child competes in the Mite or Termite programs (ages 4–8). BAHA participates in USA Hockey’s OneGoal Equipment Program. OneGoal is designed to encourage participation in hockey by providing high-quality and conveniently packaged gear including everything except skates and a stick. The equipment is sized for children ages 6–8 and includes junior small shoulder pads, pants (breezers), elbow pads, 10-inch shin guards, gloves, and a small adjustable helmet.

BAHA has purchased 20 sets of OneGoal equipment that is available to our Mite and Termite families, one per family, on a first-come, first-served basis. The cost for an OneGoal equipment set is $40 for the season.

Does BAHA offer any pickup hockey for youths?

Youth pickup hockey is occasionally scheduled in unused ice slots. See our Rink Schedule to check for scheduled times throughout the season.

Does my child have to travel in order to play hockey with BAHA?

No. BAHA offers a Youth non-travel league (Mountain League) for young players not interested in or not able to travel for games. This league is for players ages 9 - 18. Our Termites (6U) and Mites (8U) Programs are also non-travel.

What gear does my child need to play hockey?

Youth players must wear all necessary protective gear, including helmet, shoulder pads, elbow pads, shin guards, gloves, and a protective cup. PeeWee and the above players must also use a mouthguard.

Does my child need prior experience to play hockey with BAHA?

Not at all! Our programs accommodate children with all levels of experience. However, we do recommend that children brand-new to hockey enroll in the Learn to Skate program.

How old does my child need to be in order to play hockey?

Youth programs include termite (4-6) through high school levels. For more information, please visit our Youth Hockey page.

Does BAHA offer any pickup hockey?

Yes. Puck Lunch is an adult (18+) pickup hockey game that takes place every Monday through Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 12:50 p.m. See the Puck Lunch page for details, costs, and times. Additional adult pickup hockey games are occasionally scheduled in unused ice slots during the regular season. See the Rink Schedule for specific times.

Is there a women-only adult hockey program or team?

There is a Women’s Weasel League that has 10 games (not including playoffs) spread out from October-March. A large group of Bozeman women (who form the weasels travel teams) travel to two or three tournaments a year and hosts a local women's tournament called the "Get Lucky Cup." For more information about the Weasels Women’s Hockey Team, please contact Anna at

What is the Hocktober Scramble?

Hocktober Scramble is our early season program, beginning in September and ending in October. Teams play two games per week for a duration of approximately five weeks. Players are grouped into teams accommodating two levels of play instead of four, so there is a wider range of skill levels within these teams than in regular-season teams.

What equipment do I need to play hockey?

We encourage players to wear all necessary protective gear on the ice. That includes a helmet, shoulder pads, elbow pads, shin guards, gloves, breezers (pants), and cups. Full-face masks are also wise. However, our only requirement is that players wear a helmet and half-shield at all times while playing hockey.

How do I get on an adult team if I am new to the program?

When you fill out the registration form, please select "unassigned" to indicate that you are new to the league. You will be placed on a team that needs players of your skill level.

Do I need to be experienced in order to play hockey with BAHA?

Not at all! Men and women over the age of 18 have many opportunities to learn and play the great game of hockey, including beginners who have the opportunity to learn all of the hockey basics through our Greenhorn beginner program. Haynes Hockey League levels include Novice (D3), Intermediate (IVY), Rec, Over 40+, Over 60, and Power leagues.

How do I file an injury claim with USA Hockey?

Go to the USA Hockey website and follow the links “About USAH” and “Insurance Risk Management.” Much of the important information about filing a claim is listed under “FAQ.” If your question is not answered there, contact the Northern Plains District Risk Manager, who can be found in the “Risk Manager Directory" section of the USA Hockey site.

How do I become a hockey referee?

Information about becoming a referee is available on the USA Hockey website. For questions, please visit the Gallatin Hockey Officials' Association website.

What does it mean to be a BAHA Member?

BAHA Members are anyone who is registered on a youth or adult team.

What is USA Hockey and why do I need to be a member to join BAHA?

USA Hockey is the governing body of hockey in the United States. BAHA’s youth teams and adult leagues are sanctioned by USA Hockey, so for insurance purposes, all participants in these programs must be registered members. Only USA Hockey sanctioned events are covered (youth practices and games and Adult HHL games). All other events are not covered by USA Hockey insurance (Puck Lunch, Stick & Puck, 3-on-3 tournaments, Public Skating, etc.).

Where can I buy new or used hockey gear (adult or child) in Bozeman?

Here are a few places in the area that sell or buy used or new hockey equipment:

  1. Play It Again Sports (1428 N. 15th Ave.) buys and sells new and used hockey gear and sharpens skates.
  2. Second Wind Sports (15 W. Olive Street) sells and consigns used hockey gear.
  3. Summit Bike and Ski (26 S. Grand Avenue) sell hockey gear and sharpen skates.
  4. Top Shelf Hockey (25B Shawnee Way) sells hockey gear and sharpens skates.
How much does it cost to play hockey with BAHA?

BAHA strives to keep its prices reasonable and affordable in order to make hockey accessible to everyone in the community. Registration costs vary widely depending on the program and level of play desired. Please review our Youth Programs & Prices and Adult Programs & Prices guides for details.

When is hockey season in Bozeman?

The early Youth Hockey and Adult Hockey seasons start at the end of September and run until the end of October. The regular Adult Hockey season starts at the end of October and ends in mid-April. The regular Youth Hockey season also starts at the end of October and ends in early March.

How can I sign up my child or myself to play hockey?

Youth and adult hockey registration is available on our website for the duration of each season’s registration period. Registration for the regular season typically runs from late August until early October. However, we take sign-ups for our Non-Travel Mountain League all season long.

How do I get a banner or dashboard at Gallatin Ice?

Contact Philanthropy, Jeff Moore, at to showcase your business while supporting the rinks!

When will BAHA have a Summer ice?

Soon, we hope! The Gallatin Ice Foundation is dedicated to fundraising for a four-season rink. To learn more about the project and make a donation, visit the Support Page.

How can I volunteer at the rink?

Talk to your team manager, your team captain, or contact the rink by phone at (406) 586-5557 to find a volunteer task appropriate for your skills. Additionally, we will send out emails to our mailing list and post updates on our Facebook page when group efforts are needed. Sign up for the mailing list on our homepage to make sure you receive our group emails.

I lost an item while visiting Gallatin Ice. Who should I contact?

If you recently lost an item at one of the Gallatin Ice rinks and would like our help in finding it, please send a message to Anna at with a description and/or photo of the item along with your contact information.

Can I rent the ice for a private party or special event?

Both the Ressler and Bottcher ice rinks are available to rent when it is not being used for any of our other skating programs. Short-term rates are approximately $200 per hour, which includes 10-minute ice resurface. For more information on ice rental, please contact Julie Keck at

Will concessions be open?

As of now, the warm room and Barnburner Grill will be open for the 2021-22 season with fresh food, drinks, and beer for everyone.